The food service program is at the heart of the mission of Shepherd’s Table. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner during the week, along with brunch and dinner on the weekends and holidays.
Through the extraordinary efforts of thousands of volunteers, dedicated staff and countless donors, the evening meal has been served without interruption since December, 1983. That’s 35+ years of feeding hungry people in our community. In November 2008, we served our 1,000,000th meal.
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 we served our first brunch meal, beginning our 30th year of service. Through a special appeal in October 2012, funding for the Thierry Musel Brunch Program was secured for 2013.
In December 2016, we moved to a new, larger facility, and added breakfast and lunch meals during the week. Thanks to all of our donors and volunteers for bringing these programs to life. Shepherd’s Table is greatly blessed with the support of the local Silver Spring community, folks throughout Montgomery County and the greater DC region. Strong financial support, consistent donations of in-kind gifts, amazing food recovery from local grocery stores, restaurants, bakeries and farmer’s markets along with the fabulous service by volunteers, and a dedicated staff all combine to make all the meals possible.
Our meal volunteers are composed of adults, youth, young adults, court ordered folks, service learning students and teams of people from churches and synagogues, businesses and schools, and organizations throughout the area.
Throughout the year individuals, businesses, and other groups also sponsor a Bright Meal. A Bright Meal allows each individual/group to decide on a menu, pay for the food and bring the volunteers to set and serve the meal. Folks do this to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or another important occasion. Businesses do it to give back and to develop a sense of community among co-workers. All who plan and serve the special Bright Meal are amazed at the gratitude of our dinner and brunch guests who are so thankful for a special occasion.
Please note: The cost of the Bright Meal is dependent on the time of year, as we serve more meal guests in the winter months. Questions? Contact Carmen Garcia, firstname.lastname@example.org
We are also very grateful to our casserole makers who prepare tasty, nutritious casseroles, freeze them and bring them to Shepherd’s Table for a lunch, dinner or brunch meal. Currently, we have four groups who make casseroles on a monthly basis: Church of the Ascension, Leisure World, Christ the King Church & Forest Glen Estate Association. Here are some recipes for casseroles that works well to supplement our meals. To find out how to be a special casserole group, just give us a call!
Click here to see life-changing volunteer opportunities
A huge thanks to all of our regular Volunteer Groups!
Are we missing your name? Email email@example.com
- Adat Shalom
- Allen Chapel AME Church
- Altrusa International
- Bob Hirshon’s Team
- Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church
- Christ Congregational Church
- Christ the King Catholic Church
- Church of Christ
- Church of the Redeemer
- Clifton Park Baptist Church
- Columbia Jewish Congregation
- Congregation Beth El
- Cook Ross
- D + R International
- Epiphany Lutheran Church
- Family Nursing & Care
- First Baptist Silver Spring
- First Wednesday Dinner Team
- Good Shepherd Episcopal Church
- Grace Episcopal Church
- Hughes United Methodist Church
- Indonesian Association of America
- Journey’s Crossing
- Kehila Chadasha
- LDS Service Group
- McLean Bible Church
- MD Rebels Daughter Chapter
- Memorial First India United Methodist Church
- Montgomery County Bar Association Coordinators
- Montgomery County Police Department
- Mother Seton Parish
- Oakdale Emory United Methodist Church
- Opportunities Inc.
- Resurrection Catholic Church
- Riff Raffers Team
- River Road Unitarian Universalist Church
- Silver Spring Kensington Rotary Club
- Silver Spring Presbyterian Church
- Silver Spring UMC
- Silver Spring Village
- Sisters of Mercy
- Sligo Seventh Adventist Church
- St. James Episcopal Church
- St. Jane Frances de Chantal Church
- St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
- St. John’s Norwood
- St. Mary’s Baptist Church
- St. Matthew Presbyterian Church
- St. Michael the Archangel Church
- Still Water Mindfulness Practice Center
- Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart
- Takoma Park Presbyterian Church
- Temple Shalom
- The Baptist Church
- Tikvat Israel
- Tower Companies
- Victory Temple Laurel