The food service program is at the heart of the mission of Shepherd’s Table. We serve breakfast, lunch and dinner during the week, along with brunch and dinner on the weekends and holidays.
Through the extraordinary efforts of thousands of volunteers, dedicated staff and countless donors, the evening meal has been served without interruption since December, 1983. That’s 34+ years of feeding hungry people in our community. In November of 2008, we served our 1,000,000th meal.
On Sunday, December 16, 2012 we served our first brunch meal, beginning our 30th year of service. Through a special appeal in October 2012, funding for the Thierry Musel Brunch Program was secured for 2013.
In December 2016, we moved to a new, larger facility, and added breakfast and lunch meals during the week. Thanks to all of our donors and volunteers for bringing these programs to life. Shepherd’s Table is greatly blessed with the support of the local Silver Spring community, folks throughout Montgomery County and the greater DC region. Strong financial support, consistent donations of in-kind gifts, amazing food recovery from local grocery stores, restaurants, bakeries and farmer’s markets along with the fabulous service by volunteers, and a dedicated staff all combine to make all the meals possible.
Our meal volunteers are composed of adults, youth, young adults, court ordered folks, service learning students and teams of people from churches and synagogues, businesses and schools, and organizations throughout the area.
Throughout the year individuals, businesses, and other groups also sponsor a Bright Meal. A Bright Meal allows each individual/group to decide on a menu, pay for the food and bring the volunteers to set and serve the meal. Folks do this to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or another important occasion. Businesses do it to give back and to develop a sense of community among co-workers. All who plan and serve the special Bright Meal are amazed at the gratitude of our dinner and brunch guests who are so thankful for a special occasion.
We are also very grateful to our casserole makers who prepare tasty, nutritious casseroles, freeze them and bring them to Shepherd’s Table for a lunch, dinner or brunch meal. Currently, we have four groups who make casseroles on a monthly basis: Church of the Ascension, Leisure World, Christ the King Church & Forest Glen Estate Association. Here are some recipes for casseroles that works well to supplement our meals. To find out how to be a special casserole group, just give us a call!
Click here to see life-changing volunteer opportunities
A huge thanks to all of our regular Volunteer Groups!
Are we missing your name? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- ABT Associates
- Adat Shalom
- Altrusa International of Montgomery County
- Association of Public Health Labratories
- Beth El Congregation
- Cedar Lane Unitarian Universalist Church
- Christ Congregational Church
- Church Of Christ Congregation
- Church of Christ the King
- Church of the Redeemer
- Clifton Park Baptist Church
- Columbia Jewish Congregation
- Cook Ross
- Discovery Communications
- Dragga, Hannon, Hessle & Willis, LLP
- Epiphany Lutheran Church
- First Baptist Church of Silver Spring
- Good Shepherd Episcopal Church
- Good Shepherd United Methodist Church
- Grace Episcopal Church
- Great Commission CC
- Hughes United Methodist Church
- IMAAM Center
- Journey’s Crossing
- Kehila Chadasha
- Liberty Grove Methodist Church
- McLean Bible Church
- Memorial First Indian Methodist Church
- Montrose Baptist Church
- Muslim Community Center
- Oakdale Emory Methodist Church
- Resurrection Catholic Church
- River Road Unitarian Universalist Congregation
- Silver Spring Presbyterian Church
- Silver Spring United Methodist Church
- Sisters of Mercy of the Americas
- Sligo Seventh Day Adventist Church
- Spirit of Faith Christian Center
- St. James Episcopal Church
- St. Jane Frances de Chantal Church
- St. John the Baptist Catholic Church
- St. John’s Episcopal Church
- St. Luke Lutheran Church
- St. Mary’s Baptist Church
- St. Matthew Presbyterian Church
- St. Michael’s Church
- Stillwater Mindfulness Practice Center
- Stoneridge High School
- Takoma Park Presbyterian Church
- Temple Shalom
- Tikvat Israel
- Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring
- Woodside Methodist Church