In 1999, The Eye Clinic was opened to address the acute need of the uninsured for vision testing, glaucoma screening, and prescription eyeglass service. Dr. Bernetta Davis is our resident physician. All services provided in the Eye Clinic are free for our guests.
The Eye Clinic is open on Tuesdays, and patients must meet the eligibility requirements in order to receive an appointment with Dr. Davis.
Eligibility to receive free eye care:
- Must be an adult 18 years old or older.
- Must be a resident of Montgomery County.
- Household income must be below 175% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Must not have medical insurance that covers vision care.
- Must be referred by an authorized Montgomery County government or private nonprofit agency.
Referrals are accepted from caseworkers, social workers, and the following agencies:
|MUM (Mid County)
|REAP (Assistant Program)
|UMAN (Upper County)
|WUMCO (Western Upper)
|TESS Community Service Center
|Health and Human Services
|Avery Road Treatment Center
|Chase Partnership House
|Community Based Shelter
|Casa of Maryland
Referrals must be submitted by case workers and faxed to the Eye Clinic’s attention at 301-585-4718, along with proof of income and Montgomery County residency.
What to do on the day of your appointment:
- Arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
- Bring photo ID.
- Check in with the Eye Clinic assistant.
- Complete the forms.
For more information, please call Penlope Kwarikunda, Eye Clinic Coordinator, 301-273-3696.
While the Eye Clinic services are free, donations are appreciated.