Chef Manny’s roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic reduction
“this ain’t your mama’s brussel sprouts”
1 pound medium-sized brussel sprouts, halved (cut in quarters if large)
1 tbsp of a fat (olive oil, vegetable oil chicken fat)
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp of fresh minced thyme
1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
1. Pre-heat oven to 400º F.
2. Toss halved brussel sprouts with oil, salt, pepper and thyme.
3. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast in oven for 10-15 mins, or until the sprouts’ outer leaves are golden-brown and sprouts are tender crisp.
4. While sprouts are roasting, bring balsamic vinegar to simmer over medium heat in a small saucepan. Turn it off when the volume reduces by half, and the consistency resembles syrup. Allow to cool. Very Important: As syrup thickens, watch it closely to prevent it from burning (as it has sugar in it).
5. Check balsamic reduction for viscosity: it should drizzle easily from a spoon.
6. Transfer brussel sprouts to a serving dish and drizzle balsamic reduction over it.
7. Your dish is ready to serve. Enjoy!
Note: A slight charring of the brussel sprouts is desired, as the smokiness contrasts nicely with the sweet, tangy flavor of the balsamic reduction.
Chef Manny’s Rule: “The most cardinal sin is to overcook your vegetables!”
“I never liked brussel sprouts my whole life, until you made me try yours!”
Interested in supporting our meal program, or other vital services for folks experiencing homelessness or living in poverty?